van wert county general health district

Van Wert County General Health District

Proud to Serve the Residents of Van Wert City & Van Wert County.

Chinese (Simplified)

New Home Construction

When building a new home that will not be on public sewer or water the health department is involved in the process from start to finish: lot approval, septic system design, installation and approval, and well installation and approval.

The health department strives to ensure that household sewage treatment systems are designed and installed under permit and in accordance with State and local regulations.  The health department is also responsible for permitting and approving all private water systems.  We are committed to the prevention of surface and ground water pollution and to keep our Waters of the State safe and free from contaminants by performing inspections, enforcing regulations, and providing education to homeowners.

Sewage Treatment Systems (STS)

New Lots

In the case of brand new lots – not previously surveyed or recorded a person must obtain minor subdivision lot approval. Included in the Minor Subdivision Rules for creating lots 5 acres or less is a requirement for a soil evaluation to be performed by a certified soil scientist. This will give you the information to determine the best place on your proposed building site to install a soil absorption-based sewage treatment system (STS).

Existing Properties

If a lot was previously recorded, with or without an existing house, the property must be evaluated for the construction of a new home.  If no home was previously built, the lot must have a soil evaluation performed by a certified soil scientist. Based on the information from the soil evaluation, a suitable location for an STS will be identified.  If the lot has an existing home or septic system, but there are plans to build a new home on the property, the existing STS must be evaluated for approval for a new home.

In some cases, it may be determined from the soil evaluation that a soil absorption-based STS is not possible due to limited available space or poor soils. In those cases, an alternative, discharging system may be arranged with the proper EPA permit.

Soil Evaluation

The health department reviews the soil evaluation to determine the size and type of household STS that will be installed on the property.  The owner or contractor can then take that information to either a registered STS installer or a designer and have the STS design submitted to the health department.


A permit must be obtained from the health department prior to installation of the STS.


The design is evaluated to ensure it meets the requirements for the property and follows the Ohio Sewage Treatment System Rules.  The design will be approved or more information will be requested if needed.  A floor plan of the home must also be submitted to verify that the number of bedrooms is the same as what the septic system is designed to handle.


The STS installer will contact the health department during installation for inspections, as needed.  A final inspection will be conducted when the STS is finished.

Operation and Maintenance

When the STS has been approved, the homeowner will receive an operation and maintenance permit.  The permit length will be 5 years.  The health department will also conduct a 12-month inspection on the system to ensure it is operating and being maintained properly.

Private Water Systems


A permit for installation of a private water system must be obtained from the health department.  A site plan, which is a detailed drawing of the layout of the property, is required to be submitted with the permit application.  You must also have listed a private water system contractor who is registered with Ohio Department of Health for drilling, and pump installation.


The private water system contractors will complete the water system.  They are then required to submit paperwork including a well log and pump completion form to the health department within 30 days of completion.

Water Sample and Approval

After all components of the private water system have been installed and are complete, the contractor must disinfect the well.  When this is complete and the disinfecting chemical has run out of the well, the health department should be contacted for a water sample and inspection.  Once all required documentation has been submitted, an inspection has been made to verify that the construction and location of the well is in compliance with the Private Water Rules and a safe water sample result has been obtained, the well will be approved.

If you have any questions about new home construction, or to request a permit application, contact the Van Wert County Health Department at 419-238-0808, extension 105.